The History of The Catherine Wheel - Bibury
The Only Pub in Bibury
Dating back to the 15th century, the beautiful Cotswold stone building with a stable courtyard and
orchard is steeped in history…
In 1803 the family of William Taylor lived and worked as blacksmiths in the building, shoeing horses and making cart wheels. In 1856 The Catherine Wheel was born: the building was bought by J.Hathaway, a cooper (barrel-maker) and beer retailer. With its low beams, stone walls and large log fires, the inn became a success. Mr. Hathaway died leaving the inn to his wife, who sold it to the Nailsworth Brewery Company Ltd in 1899.
The eve of 2010 heralded the latest owners to The Catherine Wheel who continuously strive and succeed in providing a warm welcome, good local ales and quality food made from local ingredients.
Next time you’re in Bibury - described by William Morris as “the most beautiful village in England” - why not escape the tourist trail and have lunch in our cosy bars or enjoy some peace and a pint in our orchard?